Thursday, October 11, 2007

so long!!!!

It has been simply ages since I last posted, but this does not mean that I have not been knitting....
during my travels this summer I added considerably to my yarn stash, by purchasing:
lovely sport weight Shetland wool in a peaty brown and a deep indigo while in Cornwall, UK.
While in France, in La guilole during Bastille day, I bought some superfine mohair/silk mix yarn in a glowing milky white and a deep night blue. This was purchased from the Farmer himself at an outdoor market in the town square. I have been using it to make my "eclipse" scarf based on the moon chart calender at MOMA...
and lastly, Dun Rovin' farm in Maine- always my downfall.
here I bought thick-and-thin hand spun wool in a really odd light blue with greeny bits. It was the last she had and she did not remember they dye recipe, so it may be the last of it's kind. I bought all she had-300 yards, not much. It is really sea weedy looking, and is kind of more patinaed than dyed, really. It looks sort of organic and a bit dirty, which I really like. Most light blue is so horribly clean and chemical looking. This, looks like the sea. Not having much of it, I am a bit limited. I have started a larger ammonite pillow with it, based on the "nautie" design. so far so good, the chunky yarn gives great texture, but the thin bits do leave some holes....


Meanwhile, fall finds me in New York, where I have been prowling around the fabulous Yarntopia store, located on Amsterdam ave, at 108th street. Yarntopia is that rare bird, a really good boutique yarn store: ok prices, great atmosphere and wonderful range of goods. The store features really cool projects in the window, including some very sculptural hats, hipster mini dresses in chunky yarn and a selection of knitted dessert cakes. Very inspiring indeed, and handy(or dangerous, depending on your perception), as I live around the corner...

No comments: