Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tricot!

I’ve finished my sweater, which I am not going to show or talk about anymore, because I am hoping to publish it on Knitty
(see www.knitty.com), where the rules don’t allow projects already up on blogs. So, it will just have to wait. Suffice to say, it looks nothing like my sketch, has cap sleeves and looks terrific. I am really proud of it, all that tweaking was worth it!
I am still going to play around with the basic pattern, maybe do some waist shaping, and try a long sleeved version in lighter weight wool.

There are some terrific yarn places in France, but knitting has not had its renaissance here yet, so they are farther and fewer than I’m used to. Italy, by contrast, has gorgeous yarn shops all over, knitting never died out there. La Drogerie is a magnificent yarn, button and notions shop in Paris that has a very beautiful branch in the Bon Marche department store, as well as independent shops in Paris, Marseilles and all over France. Any person interested in knitting, sewing, jewelry making, or crochet should visit their stores- the selection was really exquisite. I haven’t been to the Marseille one yet, but I spent AGES prowling around the Bon Marche one.
Of particular interest:
Beautiful silk like yarns in yummy colors made of BAMBOO! Apparently this product has natural antiseptic properties, making this yarn good for baby things and socks.
If my suitcases weren’t already jammed I would have bought loads of stuff…

I heard a news report on the first Knit Café opening in Paris, and found it on the web later. They claimed to be an American style knit café, where one could knit, take lessons and have tea. It is amusingly named tricot te, and can be found here:
I have to say that the actuality sadly did not resemble the convivial picture posted on the web. To be fair, though, I went on a weekday, which means that most younger knitters would be at school or work. The place is in a not very scenic quartier, and the shop is TINY. It only stocks pingouin yarns, and the knitting books on sale there were of the stodgy old fashioned kind. There was no café part to speak of, which was a downer as I was really thirsty, and the only other client was an elderly lady looking to knit simple baby clothes. The table space was small, and I did not really feel that I could just sit down, whip out my project and start working away on it. They did however, have a variety of classes starting up, and that truly seemed to be what they were really about…
Rather disappointing on the whole.

My next project is going to be a kids toy “naughtie”, that was published a while back on Knitty (see http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/PATTnautie.html). It was designed by Beth Skwarecki, who can be found here: http://loxosceles.org/, and who took this photo.It’s really ingenious and I’ve been itching to make it since I first saw it. Now I have a good excuse as I have several pregnant friends to drum up gifts for…
Just before leaving NYC I got a great deal on some suede chenille yarn, soft colorful and machine washable- perfect for little baby baubles. I just need to get some stuffing, and I’m good to go!

No comments: